WHL Power Rankings:
-I am lucky enough to have been included by Paul Figler of Figler Files as part of the inaugural WHL power rankings. The panel consisted of a mix of media and bloggers across the WHL, with those more familiar with the Eastern Conference voting on those teams and those more familiar with the West voting for those teams. The points, reflects a combination of voter based results, with current standing in the conference. Of note is the fact that the points differ depending on conference as there are a different number of voters for each. The voters (besides myself and Paul) will remain anonymous, but suffice to say that I feel particularly honored (and made to feel out of my class) by some of the names involved.
These rankings were done prior to Tuesday's games.
I provided the write ups for the Western Conference teams, while Paul provided those for the East.
I hope to provide this here every Tuesday starting next week, perhaps with it's own post.
Without further ado....Here they are:
WHL Power Rankings for Week of 10/12/15
1. Calgary 70pts- Hitmen have won 5 of 7, single regulation loss, on the back end of 3 in 3 nights.
3.(T) Moose Jaw 57pts- Only team in the WHL without a regulation loss. Beat CGY at home.
3.(T) Red Deer 57pts- Tough week with a loss in LETH and CGY, won home end of home and home vs. CGY, Lost Mahura until April.
5. Lethbridge 48pts- 2-1 this week with wins vs. RD and MH, lost to high powered KEL. Burke and co. scoring at will for the 'Canes
6. Prince Albert 41pts- Began US road swing with a shootout loss and a regulation loss.
7. Saskatoon 35pts- 31 goals on the season, 3 overtime losses.Came from behind to beat SC.
8. Edmonton 31pts- Had won 3 in a row, suffered loss to REG on the road to end the week.
9. Medicine Hat 24pts- Needed OT to beat SAS, lost last 2. Beaten badly by LETH this week (7-0)
10. Regina 21pts- Could be ranked higher, beat VAN and EDM to cap off the week.
11. Swift Current- 17pts Best team save percentage in the league, allowing league high shots against per game (40.86)
12. Kootenay- 6pts Last win was Oct 2, 5 straight road losses since. Descheneau injury not helping matters.
1. Kelowna- 48pts Came home from a goal filled Alberta road swing, then got shut out at home.
2. Victoria 46pts- Vollrath shut out KEL, allowing only 4 goals in 4 games. His GAA is 1.17
3. Everett 40pts- Tips get an OT winner from Laurencelle on Saturday and a 4 points game from Stadnyk on Sunday as their big guns come through.
4. Seattle 35pts- T-birds eke out two big wins as Barzal (3 points) and Watson come back to the fold.
5.(T) Vancouver- 21pts Poor defense and goaltending on Eastern swing does not bode well for Giants (26 goals against in 4 games this week).
5.(T) Tri City- 21pts Outlook is good with more scoring coming in this year form the likes of Beau McCue (4 points this week) and co.
7. Spokane 20pts- Helewka is in the AHL and the young Chiefs are struggling offensively without him. Anderson-Dolan is solid but a 16 year old, top line Center does not usually a contender make.
8.(T) Prince George- 19pts Split series at home vs. T.C. with the latter having a combined 108 penalty minutes
8.(T) Portland 19pts- Loss of Ericson is huge but newfound chemistry with top line of Abols-Bittner-Schoenborn promising.
10. Kamloops 5pts- Hapless Blazers still seeking their first win and blowing a 3-0 lead to T.C. has to hurt.